Wednesday 21 November 2012

Support for Praveen.

The exhaustion that followed this last conflict-laden year has left me numb. I don't know what to say anymore.

This morning I realised that the system has almost managed to steal my voice, it has ground down my cognitive faculties, silenced my vocal chords and drained the last drop of energy from my soul.
I was curling up, closing doors, contemplating a life of just shutting up and generally feeling very sorry for myself.

Then I heard the voice of Praveen Halappanavar. The dignity of a recently-widowed man who's wife was denied life-saving medical intervention and allowed to die within a mile of my home shook me to my core.

Whatever your position on abortion, it is impossible not to be moved by the story of Savita Halappanavar's death. I keep playing their discussions with the medics in my head, I have had many similar ones on Boy Wonder's behalf. I know only too well the wrath that follows the reasonable request for a second opinion. I can empathise with his lack of trust in an internal HSE inquiry into the events surrounding this terrible tragedy; I have been waiting for three years for an internal report from HSE-funded Enable Ireland on how they managed to endanger my vulnerable son with a speech therapist who had been deemed a threat to public safety in California.

There are members of the Irish establishment, who are so accustomed to treating the general population with such distain that they react with aggressive-disbelief when challenged. I can only hope that the international dimension to this story will save Praveen and his family from the bully-boy tactics that have been used on me and my family.

It is up to every one of us as citizens of this state to demand a full and impartial inquiry; to hold those responsible to account and to ensure by force of law that this can never happen again. Savita and the women of Ireland deserve nothing less.

This story has stirred up old hurts I thought I had dealt with, it has been a difficult week but one which has reminded me to remain dignified and steadfast in my refusal to be bullied.

Cheers,
Ann

4 comments:

Catherine said...

I agree about the attitude of disdain......this happens especially to young people....and maybe more so young women. This past few days has been devastating for so many who have had similar experiences....what a brave man he is. Very well said!!

AnnB said...

Hi Foxglove Lane thanks for your support and kind comments. I hope that the tragedy of Savita's death will help all of us who have experienced this devastating distain first hand. At least now we are all talking about it some good must come of it.

Cheers Ann.

Anonymous said...

The speech therapist thing put my heart in my mouth. What a betrayal of your wonderful son by the system. I feel for you, it should not be a struggle to get a child the things they need to reach their potential. You are a fantastic mother. Please pass on my best wishes to the boy wonder... (This is mĂșinteoir Deirdre, by the way!)

AnnB said...

Hey there MĂșinteoir Deirdre - lovely to hear from you! Boy Wonder still rehearses his 'nuacht' for you! Hope all is well! He's getting big now and being (mostly) a buachaill ana mhaith!